Note:

Let me start by saying that I am not a vet. I am not a doggy nutritionist. I am not an expert. I am not recommending you practice what I practice, or that what I have decided that I feel is best for me and my dog, is best for you and your dog. I am simply sharing my experiences and opinions. If there is anything that I post on this page that strikes your interest PLEASE do your own research, and ALWAYS consult your veterinarian before making any lifestyle changes with your pet.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day One

My mom and I took her puppy to a new vet today. He specializes in holistic medicine (I will provide a few links concerning the controversies of vaccines). Anyways, he was very supportive of homemade diets, and at the very least canned dog food. He also personally knows people that feed raw diets, and he said their dogs do wonderfully. This was the final push I needed. This afternoon I went to my local market and bought me some chicken hearts and gizzards, cottage cheese, and eggs. And for those of you that are worried that this may be an expensive alternative to dog food, think again. I got a pound of gizzards and hearts for a buck.

Tonight for dinner Dakota got:

  • 1 ½ cups of her kibble (I still have a little left)
  • 1/3 of a lb of the hearts and gizzards
  • ¼ cup of cottage cheese


The verdict so far? She gobbled it up! I haven’t seen her eat with that much enthusiasm since she was a puppy! So far so good…


And as promised a couple links concerning the issues with vaccines. One that I found to be particularly interesting on rabies:


http://naturalrearing.com/coda/a_rabies_the_big_scam.html


http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/articles/puppy-shots-and-dog-vaccinations.html


http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment